Pop Songs and Political Science
Sheena Easton and Game Theory
Sheena Easton describes the following scenario for her baby:
- Takes the morning train
- Works from nine ’til five
- Takes another train home again
- Finds Sheena Easton waiting for him
Sheena Easton and her baby are playing a .
- Akin to Holmes-Moriarty game (see: von Neumann and Morgenstern)
Never Gonna Give You Up
Rick Astley’s Re-election Platform
Rick Astley’s campaign promises:
- Never gonna give you up
- Never gonna let you down
- Never gonna run around and desert you
- Never gonna make you cry
- Never gonna say goodbye
- Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.
Whereas these pledges conform to the preferences of the , we expect Congressman Astley to secure re-election.
Caribbean Queen and Operation Urgent Fury
In 1984, Billy Ocean released ``Caribbean Queen’’.
- Emphasized sharing the same dream
- Hearts beating as one
``Caribbean Queen’’ is about the poor execution of Operation Urgent Fury.
- Echoed JCS chairman David Jones’ frustrations with military establishment.
Billy Ocean is advancing calls for what became the Goldwater-Nichols Act.
- Wanted to take advantage of , resolve in U.S. military.
The Good Day Hypothesis
We know the following about Ice Cube’s day.
- The Lakers beat the Supersonics.
- No helicopter looked for a murder.
- Consumed Fatburger at 2 a.m.
- Goodyear blimp: “Ice Cube’s a pimp.”
This leads to two different hypotheses:
- \(H_0\): Ice Cube’s day is statistically indistinguishable from a typical day.
- \(H_1\): Ice Cube is having a good (i.e. greater than average) day.
These hypotheses are tested using archival data of Ice Cube’s life.
Rendering This Document
The Problem of Rendering in Markdown
One big disadvantage to Markdown: compiling.
Here’s what it would look like from Terminal
Nobody got time for that.
One Alternative: Rstudio
Another Alternative: Rscript
Another option: noninteractive
- I prefer this option since I tend to not like GUIs.
- Assumes you’re on a Linux/Mac system.
Save this to a .R script (call it whatever you like)
- Note that the “s” in “utils” package is cut off in verbatim environment below.
#! /usr/bin/Rscript --vanilla --default-packages=base,stats,utils library(knitr) library(rmarkdown) file <- list.files(pattern='.Rmd') rmarkdown::render(file)
Make it executable. Double click or run in Terminal.
- Keep a copy in each directory, but keep only one .Rmd per directory.
Beamer markup is messy. Markdown is much more elegant.
- Incorporating R with Markdown makes Markdown that much better.
- Rendering Markdown \(\rightarrow\) Beamer requires minimal Rscript example.
- I provide such a script to accompany this presentation.